Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A hiking we will go!

It wasn't really hiking, but it did include some adventures. My in-laws live on a couple of wooded acres in NY. It is beautiful up there. The trees are huge and leafy. Around them is thick brush for all sorts of reptiles and small animals to live. Since we currently live in suburbia we aren't accustomed to going out to our yard and finding God's creatures lurking about. Sure we have birds of all kinds and a ton of bugs, including gigantic grasshoppers and dragonflies. For little kids these things are fun to see, but to really get their attention they need to touch and hold the creatures.
Touching was indeed done. My husband went out and caught a snake or two for the kids to see. Since I have a strict "No rodents, reptiles, or cats" rule for our household pets, the kids were intrigued with the snake. I was incredibly happy for the zoom button on my camera. You wouldn't know it from the pictures, but I wouldn't come within 10 feet of the snake.


I love my girls. Don't you just love her little finger in a totally girly position. She had fun looking at the snake, but she needed some coercing to actually touch it. I would like to point out that one of my boys took a full grasp of the snake. Batman just grabbed it with his whole hand as if it were just a stick. There was no dainty finger petting coming from him. I don't have the picture yet, but will find it soon.


Why would anyone love these things? I am honestly going to have a pow wow with God about the creation of snakes when I get to heaven. I don't think that God ever makes mistakes, but I don't see why snakes really needed to be made. Just look at that tongue! It is saying, "I know I look like a harmless gardener snake, but I would love to taste you!" I am getting the chills just looking at this picture. I need to go to my laundry room and find some peace now! Ta Ta!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Welcome back. Remember when I used to run them over with the rider in Ingleside? I hated them too. I'm sure God made them for a purpose but, not in my yard

Dad