Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Gone Fishin'

We decided to take our kiddos fishing this weekend. They each picked out their fishing poles at Walmart. Princess kept up her image and picked out a Disney Princess pole. Batman picked out a Transformer pole, which later broke and we exchanged for the Spiderman one. Spiderman picked out a Disney Cars pole, and the little one picked out Barbie. My dad would be proud. After almost 20 years, I remembered how to tie the hook onto the fishing line. I remembered how to do the bobber too!

After some great concentration, Batman reeled in a great fish! It was his "Catch of the Day", or his 4th catch of the day. I think God blessed us with a lot of fish that day. I have never caught as many as these guys when I was growing up. Each kid caught about 4 fish. Their lines weren't in the water more that a minute or two before catching something!
"I am way to busy for pictures, MOM!"

Everyone knows that when Spiderman is thinking, pondering, concentrating, or analyzing something he has the face to go with it. His eyes and nose are scrunched and his mouth is slightly open. He was way too into fishing to give me a smile. This was the look that I got.


I could never be more proud or shocked at this! My Princess has unhooked her own fish and let it go into the pond, ALL BY HERSELF! We (I say we, but really Blue Eyes) was so busy taking fish of the hooks for the boys that Princess was forced to wait until he was done. After telling her that fish can only breathe in water, she couldn't let patience get in the way and kill her fish. Instead of letting the little thing suffer anymore, she took it upon herself to do the duty of unhooking and releasing it before suffocation took place.

Yes, at some point in my childhood I took a few fish off of my hooks, but I grew up and realized how gross they are. I asked Blue Eyes if he would stop at home so I could get my old dish gloves so I could help with the unhooking. He laughed at me and declined. He did say that he would handle the dirty work for me. What a guy! I stood by for support.


One of our fishing poles broke in the first 5 minutes of fishing! We made Spiderman share his for 2 minutes. He didn't kick and scream, but the face shows how happy he was about it. My baby didn't catch anything, but she was happy to try!

By this time, my baby and I were at the top of the hill shielding ourselves from the wind. She was hiding her face in my legs and I took the last few pictures of our new hobby! It started to drizzle and I took our napless toddler to the truck. These guys fished for about an hour and a half, and they could have stayed for more.














No comments: