Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm a thumb sucking wimp!

Yes, It is true! I am the biggest wimp. I was riddled with fear and I could feel my heart beating outside of my chest last night. It start almost 48 hours ago. The storm forecasters said that we had a possibility of severe storms. I now live in the Midwest. When severe storms come, they come with those wonderful things called tornadoes. I miss New York. Buffalo only had one teeny, tiny tornado in the 5 and half years that I lived there, and it wasn't even by my house. Oh, and it was in the middle of the day.

Indiana is proving to be different. Let me tell you the exact lines I hear from my beloved weather people....."Severe Thunderstorms on their way, with a few tornadoes probable! (like they are on the same expectation level of thunder and lightning!) Let us remind you that it is dark and the rain is coming down hard so you probably won't be able to see them coming. The storm warning is in effect until 10:15....now 10:45....now it's 11:30.....we have extended it to 12:15. This storm seems to be calming (as my sky is so lit by the lightning that I actually saw the dimensions and color of the clouds in the sky), but their seems to be another storm right behind it building strength."

My Princess came to snuggle with me along with my perfect dog. She was asking if a tornado was coming. What was I suppose to say? "NNNNNo HHHoNNNey, I I I think it is almmmost ovvver." She saw right through it. We decided to pray. It was the only thing that would work for her and for me. It worked though. Right after that, the storm finally calmed a little. By calm I mean we could see across the street again. We went to bed a 12:45am.

Where was Blue Eyes through all this? He decided that it would be a good time to sit outside under our porch roof and have a glass of wine with a cigar to watch the storm. His way of comforting me was knocking on the front door every few minutes to get me to come over there, and say "Did you just see that? Did you hear how loud that one was? I don't know if I ever saw a storm like this. If it gets any worse I will be coming in!" I would then go back to the couch with my daughter and dog and suck my thumb while watching "Storm Watch" until my eyes hurt. Oh and by the way, my boys slept right through it. Baby girl (I think that is what I will call her) transported herself to my bed and was fine. What a night!

Dear Mother-in-law, Can I move in with you for the spring? I will help shovel! I miss NY! I am great at washing bathtubs and I do laundry.

Sorry no pics of this one. I was shaking too hard to hold a camera.

2 comments:

Mrs. Bracey said...

Oh honey, never move to the beach. You'll die from a heart attach at the first calling of a hurricane (which they give you days warning...days of fretting, freaking, and of course praying and possibly packing). :) You are too cute. This too shall pass.

Andrea said...

Glad you guys made it through the storm okay! If we were in town I would have also been a "thumb sucking wimp". I grew up here and tornadoes still scare me to death. Sounds like the one that touched down hit relatively close to our house too - I've never been so grateful to be 4 hours away from home! ;)