Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I'm a thumb sucking wimp! Part Deux

Well I am still a thumb sucking wimp. I am getting better. I still can't sleep while a storm is present, but I can stop from hyperventilating. On Father's Day, we had this storm come through our town. Now let's point out the happenings just 15 minutes before this freakish thing took over. We had blue skies all around! It was a beautiful 83 degrees. It was the perfect grilling day. We spent our savings on buying steaks for Father's Day. I made strawberry pies for dessert. The day was going perfect. THEN!!!!!!!
This thing reared its ugly face. It came so suddenly it almost wasn't real. Our neighbors had a barbecue with 20 people. They all stood in the front yard with us like we were watching an alien space ship landing. Remember that scene in the movie "Independence Day" where the whole world stood on there front lawns watching the space ship silently move over their heads. This was no different. This storm was cackling at me saying, "tornadoes, tornadoes, tornadoes!" Let's point out here that my kids are happily riding their bikes and drawing on the sidewalk with chalk, and we still had our steaks on the grill. And! after paying out our bank account for them, NO tornado was going to rob us of enjoying them!
Can't you just see the funnel cloud trying to form?


So for all who don't believe me when I say that this is a scary place to live, just look at these pictures. You go from blue skies to the storm that I am going to call "The Nothing".
Name that movie! I promise I did not touch up any of these pictures. Disney Pixar did not come over and color nasty looking clouds over our neighborhood. These are the real deal! We did eat our steaks and watch the storm, from the comfort of my inside dining room!
(If you missed Part 1 of this story click here: http://ordinarilyrandomme.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html)

2 comments:

Dad said...

Where are the steaks? Looks like a typical northern Illinois sky to me. Dad

Andrea said...

We watched the same thing from our window too - crazy! Yay midwest! ;) By the way, when I was a kid, I actually watched a funnel cloud form in the field behind my parent's house. Just so you know - I've always heard that
they don't usually touch down where they form. Still scary though!